Welcome to the International Journal of Small and Medium Enterprises and Business Sustainability. As its main objectives, this online double-blind review and the scholarly journal is dedicated to publishing in English original and outstanding studies that improve knowledge and understanding of the development of small and medium enterprises (SMEs), including entrepreneurship and family-owned businesses, and factors or conditions affecting business sustainability, and, eventually, shape these fields of research. The Journal focuses upon theoretical, empirical, policy, and practitioner issues within the fields of SMEs especially in developing economies. Articles published in the Journal are of importance to academics, policymakers, practitioners, and analysts in government and organizations, seeking to understand SMEs processes and outcomes, especially with respect to their growth, constraints, and sustainability. Articles published might be theoretical pieces, qualitative and quantitative empirical work, and/or case studies. Given that the objective of the Journal is to push the boundaries of current thoughts on the development of SMEs, case studies to be published in the Journal must have a theoretical perspective. The theoretical contribution can be related to the fact that the case challenges the existing theory or highlights it better.
Articles to be published in the Journal focuses primarily on the following topics:
- Small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
- Family-owned businesses
- Government policy on SME and entrepreneurship
- The role of cooperatives and non-government organizations (NGOs) in supporting SMEs
- Epistemology, general theory development, and methods of research in entrepreneurship, SMEs, and family-owned businesses
- Impacts of macroeconomic policies, including subsidies policy, trade policy, and investment policy, on SMEs
- Impacts of market structure and market competition on SMEs
- Financing: microfinance, informal sources of finance, bank and other non-bank financial institutions
- Main factors which affect business sustainability
- Other issues related to SMEs in particular and business in general
The Journal is published by the Center for Industry, SME and Business Competition Studies, University of Trisakti, Jakarta, Indonesia, in collaboration with the University of Social Sciences, Warsaw, Poland. Besides stand-alone articles, the Journal publishes review articles, comments, and book reviews. Only original articles that are not under consideration by other publishers are welcome.